Pages

Go to NEW & IMPROVED Website: waxmeltreviews.com

Thursday, August 11, 2016

Walmart Scented Wax Melts Fall 2016 - ScentSationals and Better Homes & Gardens

Walmart Scented Wax Melts Fall 2016 - ScentSationals and Better Homes & Gardens

ScentSationals and Better Home & Gardens Wax Melts - Fall 2016
Click photo to view larger image

This is a review of the new Walmart Scented Wax Melts for Fall 2016 (ScentSationals and Better Homes & Gardens). Fall scents generally appear at Walmart from late-July to mid-September, depending on your Walmart. I believe there are other fall and winter scents on the way, although I haven't found them yet but will update this page when I do.

Please also see Part 2 of this review, 9 additional scents that I purchased in December, at  http://www.scentedwaxreviews.com/2016/12/walmart-scented-wax-melts-fall-2016-scentsationals-better-homes-gardens.html

If you want to view a close-up image of each particular wax melt, check out my Pinterest boards for ScentSationals (https://www.pinterest.com/scentedwax/scentsationals-scented-wax-melts/), Better Homes & Gardens (https://www.pinterest.com/scentedwax/better-homes-gardens-walmart-scented-wax-melts/), and MainStays (https://www.pinterest.com/scentedwax/mainstays-walmart-scented-wax-melts/).

And of course, if you want to participate in discussions about this review and other scented wax melts in the U.S., please join our Facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/scentedwaxretail. We're a fun, active discussion group with over 1,000 members!

ScentSationals Sunflower Fields
This is a nice spicy floral. Even if you don't like florals, you may like this one due to the spiciness, but it's not a foodie spice like cinnamon, more like a perfume type spice, but not overly sweet. Hard to describe, but very nice. It doesn't smell like sunflowers though. Throw was good, around a 3 out of 5.

Better Homes & Gardens Golden Harvest Sunset
Walmart description "This is very bright and crisp. This spicy, fruity scent is the perfect autumn blend featuring notes of golden bergamot, crushed ginger, juicy orange, warm cardamom, white violet and nutmeg.  A mix of sandalwood, vanilla bean and amber crystals adds a touch of comfort completing this enchanting fragrance experience."
This is probably my favorite of all the new scents. It's a lemon scent with kind of a clean floral note and maybe a touch of orange. Looking at the scent notes, that other note I can't figure out is probably the cardamom. It's not a foodie scent, more of a calming, happy atmospheric scent. Disappointingly, throw was only fair, maybe a 2.5 out of 5, but would probably do well in a very small room.

ScentSationals Crimson
"Cranberry & Oak"
This smells a little like ScentSationals Vanilla Woods, a woodsy vanilla type scent. It smells a bit like men's cologne or body wash. I don't smell cranberry at all, although there could be a smidgeon of some kind of fruit. This is a sexy fragrance, similar to ScentSationals Simple Romance. The woodsy note almost has a slight balsam or pine or even patchouli vibe, but barely noticeable. Melted, it smells like a spicy warm snuggly winter type men's cologne scent, and throw is excellent, around a 3.5 or 4 out of 5.

Better Homes & Gardens Fragrant Woodland Walk
Walmart description "This has woodland fir needle sparkling with citrus splashed aldehydes that rests upon smooth balsam, warm tree moss and black amber touched by sweet sandalwood and hints of green cedar."
This is a woodsy scent with a balsam note and a smidgeon of pine, and maybe an earthy floral way in the background. Looking at the scent notes, okay the floral is probably the amber, and I do smell the woodsiness of the sandalwood. Melted, I think I detect a slightly eucalyptus note, and it smells like a winter scent. Throw is excellent, around a 3.5 or 4 out of 5.

ScentSationals Dusk Till Dawn
"Orange Blossom over Sandalwood & Musk"
I can't figure this one out. On cold sniff, I don't smell orange blossom because there's a slightly sour note in the background, maybe like sour apple, but not really in a bad way. I do detect a light woodsy note and the perfumey musk. Melted, this has a fresh, natural scent, not sour at all. I definitely smell the wood, and I think there's a very slight apple note like old apples scattered among fallen leaves, and maybe even a smidgeon of lemon. The freshness almost gives it a slight parsley vibe, although it's not a green or herbal scent at all. And it's not necessarily a fall scent and it doesn't have that smoky woodsiness that's typical of fall scents. This is different from any wax scent I've ever smelled, and I like it. Throw is excellent, around a 3.5 or 4 out of 5, but the scent fizzled within an hour.

ScentSationals Fall 'n For Fall
"Crisp Autumn Leaves"
This says "Crisp Autumn Leaves" on the package, and ScentSationals has a scent called Crisp Autumn Leaves, but this scent is completely different. It's a woodsy men's cologne type scent but there's some other note I can't put my finger on that makes it not overly cologney. It smells a little bit like the new ScentSationals Dusk Till Dawn, but more cologney. Nice scent, but almost zero throw. I couldn't even smell it from a foot away.

Better Homes & Gardens Sunflower & Chrysanthemum
This sweet floral has a slightly bitter note and on cold sniff I'm getting a slight chemical note like nailpolish remover. Melted, it's just awful! All I smell is a slightly sweet bitter sour scent like fermented wine but worse. Throw was very good, around a 3.5 out of 5.

Better Homes & Gardens Candied Citrus Pumpkin
Walmart description: "This has candied pumpkin fruit swirled with cinnamon, clove and nutmeg splashed with sweet orange and a touch of butter caramel with sweet pastry undertones."
This smells like a combination of Better Homes & Gardens Orange Buttercream Cupcake (an orangey Fruit Loops cereal type scent) mixed with a slightly salty cinnamon pumpkin scent. But the more I smell it, the more I realize it's a dupe of an older pumpkiny scent whose name I don't remember. And when melted, it's quite cinnamony. It's a nice scent, but not my favorite, as it's very rich and cinnamony (I do really like the Orange Buttercream Cupcake scent by itself though). Throw is excellent, at least a 4 out of 5.

Better Homes & Gardens Roasted Coconut Pumpkin
I immediately though of Scentsy Coconut Pumpkin Pie when I saw this scent. Although they're slightly similar, the Scentsy version is more coconutty and pumpkiny, whereas this BHG scent has a sweeter more whipped cream note. On cold sniff I smell the nutmeggy pumpkin note, but not really the coconut although it may be way in the background. When melted, nope, no coconut. This is a dupe of an older cookie type scent whose name I don't remember. It's a very nice, rich scent though, but similar to other scents I have. Throw was only fair to good, maybe a 2.5 or 3 out of 5.

Better Homes & Gardens Brandied Peach Cobbler
This smells like pears more than peach, and with a very sugary sweet and slightly caramel note. I don't really detect a bakery note. It's a nice scent but extremely sweet. Throw is fairly good, around a 3 or 3.5 out of 5.

ScentSationals Peppermint Vanilla Macaroon
"Life is Sweet"
Everyone is looking forward to this scent, and with good reason. It's yummy! Just like the description, it smells like a sweet minty vanilla cookie. It's sugary sweet, and the peppermint is not overwhelming. Melted, it doesn't really smell like a cookie, but more like the inside of a peppermint patty, but not as minty, and very sweet. It's a nice scent, but not as fantastic as I expected it would be. I would have liked a stronger peppermint note. Throw is very good, around a 3.5 out of 5.

ScentSationals Nag Champa Incense
"A Space for Peace"
ScentSationals description: "Warm woody patchouli swirled with hints of golden amber, rich musk and oriental spices balanced by undertones of orange blossom and jasmine"
Finally ScentSationals has come out with a Nag Champa scent, which is one of my favorite scents. This is very strong on cold sniff, a beautiful Nag Champa scent with a soapy note. Nag Champa is a sweet, woodsy earthy scent with patchouli, musk, amber and baby powder notes. Oh, I will be stocking up on this one for sure. It's fantastic, and the throw is excellent, easily a 4 or even 4.5 out of 5. And the scent lasted for over 24 hours! My favorite scent out of the bunch! This one is also available on the ScentSationals website as of 9/3/16.

ScentSationals Cashmere Cream
"Luxury Must Be Comfy"
This just smells like milky vanilla. I don't smell cashmere or any type of amber or laundry notes. This might actually be a dupe of an older vanilla scent. When melted, yes I believe it's a dupe of an older ScentSationals vanilla scent like Vanilla Bean or Old-Fashioned Vanilla. And like a lot of vanilla scents, the throw isn't very good, maybe a 2.5 out of 5.

ScentSationals Blackberry Cognac
ScentSationals description: "Crushed autumn blackberry and intoxicating dark cassis infused with the aroma of aged oak and vanilla scented tobacco"
This smells like a cross between last year's ScentSationals Blackberry Cider and Better Homes & Gardens Sunflower & Chrysanthemum (review above). There's a very slight dark berry note, but also a bitter note which I guess is supposed to be the cognac but smells a little like fermented wine. There's also a slight cedar type note that makes this scent a little more tolerable, although it's not one of my favorites. This one is also available on the ScentSationals website as of 9/3/16.

ScentsSationals Pumpkin Apple Muffins
ScentSationals description: "Freshly baked, brown sugar muffins full with ripe golden apple, spiced pumpkin, fresh ground cinnamon and sweet hints of pure vanilla"
This is a dupe of the yummy Spiced Caramel Corn side of Better Homes & Gardens "At the Fair" duo that was discontinued last year (although you can still find old stock on Walmart's shelves). This is one of my favorite scents of all time, and I'm so glad it came back. It's a super rich butter caramel corn scent with a hint of apple. And the throw is fantastic!

ScentSationals Scarlet Cypress Wreath
It's a little early for Walmart to start putting out winter and holiday scents, but I don't mind. I love pine scents! This one is pine with an orangey fruity note. It's not the same scent as the old ScentSationals Citrus Wreath though, which was more orange than fruity. This one smells like it has some kind of red berry in it as well, but it's mostly a pine/spruce scent. Throw is good, but probably better than I think because I have all the windows open and it's quite windy in here right now!

Mainstays Pecan Pumpkin Cake
Walmart description: "This is a decadent fall time treat with brown sugar, indulgent butter cream and sweet lemon mingle with an aromatic blend of ginger, nutmeg and a scrumptious pumpkin accord at the heart."
This smells like sweet rich milky cream with a nutty note and the slight saltiness of the pumpkin. It's very rich. Looking at the scent notes, I don't smell any lemon. This is yummy and rich, and throw is very good, around a 3.5 out of 5.

ScentSationals Cinnamon Apples
On cold sniff, I thought this was a typical generic cinnamon apple scent, but I was wrong! This is one of my favorite scents now. Melted, it smells like sweet apple juice, or maybe a light apple cider with just a hint of cinnamon but none of those harsh mulling spices. It smells like walking into a Michael's Arts & Crafts store full of fall potpourri. It's a "scent monster", throw is 5 out of 5, and it takes over the entire house. The scent lasted for an entire day, and even after I turned the warmer off overnight, the next morning it still smelled strong in the house. This is in absolute winner!

ScentSationals Baked Orchard Apple
Apple pie type scent with fresh apples and maybe a little bit of caramel and cinnamon. It's a very nice apple scent, but similar to other scents I have. Throw is very good, around a 3.5 out of 5.

Better Homes & Gardens Rustic Country Home
Walmart description: "Country apple, sweet cinnamon sticks, sugar & spice, warm nutmeg and clove bud. Sugared woods and sueded vanilla add additional warmth"
I expected this to have a woodsy note based on the name, but it just smells like cinnamon and maybe cloves, so I wasn't going to buy it. But when I went back a few days later and smelled it again, I swear I detected a hint of chocolate, and maybe a smidgeon of nut, and the cinnamon is not overly strong, so I decided to give it a try. It really is a nice scent, similar to ScentSationals No Place Like Home and AmbiEscents Home Sweet Home, with that warm homey feel, but with slightly different notes. Throw is excellent, around a 3.5 or 4 out of 5.

ScentSationals Perfectly Pine
ScentSationals description: "Balsamic evergreen, brisk pine, and lush fir needle gleam with sparkling citrus aldehydes, lustrous greens, and earthy patchouli infused with warm spice and dew-covered moss." but when I checked the site later, the description changed to "The warmth of pine with a hint of crisp eucalyptus and sweet raspberry"
A typical pine scent, most likely a dupe for a previous pine scent. It has a nice authentic Christmas tree smell though, and not that "biting" pine note that a lot of similar scents have. I think the first ScentSationals description is accurate, since I don't smell raspberry or any type of berry or sweetness. Even though it's not a sweet scent at all, it IS sweeter than Better Homes & Gardens Fresh Cut Frasier (which is a harsher pine scent with more of a eucalyptus note). Throw is fantastic, a scent monster that took over the house, 5 out of 5.

ScentSationals Balsam & Birch
A strong biting pine and eucalyptus type scent. I believe this is a dupe for other similar scents in the past. Throw is excellent, around a 4 out of 5.


I did not buy the following scents, because I either wasn't fond of them or they were dupes of other scents I already have, or just general fall type scents that come out every year (I have more than enough of those!). But I did make notes on cold sniff while I was at the store:


Better Homes & Gardens Bundled in Blankets Duo (Cozy Winter Coat & Plush Fleece Mittens)
I didn't care for either scent, smells a lot like other scents I have, kind of generic. Couldn't put my finger on the scents themselves, but they're not laundry cotton type scents.

ScentSationals Pumpkin S'Mores Duo (Pumpkin Spice & Pumpkin Marshmallow Cream)
Another typical pumpkin scent. I believe Pumpkin Spice is the same Pumpkin Spice scent from last year, and see my review of Pumpkin Marshmallow Cream above.

Better Homes & Gardens Perfect Pumpkin Ale
This is a pumpkiny apple scent similar to a lot of other fall scents.

Better Homes & Gardens Fall Into Autumn
Walmart description: "This has golden acorns and crisp green apple that combine with warm notes of smooth applewood and red cedar nestled with aromatic leaves, white orchard pear and gently spiced harvest berry."
Even though the picture shows apples and grapes, and the description mentions apples, I don't detect fruit in this scent. It smells a lot like Better Homes & Gardens Crisp Fall Leaves which most people love but I don't. It's a little woodsy and smoky but with a weird sage type note in the background that I don't like, similar to ScentSationals Mountain Twilight (which I also don't like).

ScentSationals Vineyard Sunset
ScentSationals description: "Soft red berries envelope the warmth of velvet fig, brightened with hints of sugared peach and grape blossom resting on soft oakmoss and luminous white musk."
This doesn't really smell like grape, but more of an earthy berry. But it has a slight sour wine fermentation note in the background that I don't like. This one is also available on the ScentSationals website as of 9/3/16.

ScentSationals Incense & Wine Duo (Nag Champa Incense & Vineyard Sunset)
I already bought Nag Champa Incense in a single pack, and I don't like the Vineyard Sunset scent (see above).

Better Homes & Gardens Candied Caramel Apple
I didn't even see this one, but include it here because some of the people in our group (see link below) have tried it. This may actually be an older scent that's still on the shelves. Those who tried it didn't care for it, and said the throw wasn't very good (which is surprising for an apple scent).

ScentSationals Spice It Up
"Citrus and Spice"
This was weak on cold sniff, which is susprising for a spicy scent. I smelled cinnamon and maybe some other spices, but I wasn't wowed by this scent, and I didn't smell any citrus. It smells a bit like Big Red chewing gum.


Want to participate in discussions about this review and others, and find out where you can find these scents? Please join our Facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/scentedwaxretail.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, you found a ton more at your store than I found at mine. I think my store just doesn't have their full selection out yet though, because what I did find was scattered among the regular everyday scents. I hope these others show up at my store!

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deb, what a coincidence! I just happened to post something on the blog page you published yesterday. I don't know if you're a member of our Facebook group yet, but if not, please join us! We discuss store-bought wax melts like ScentSationals, Better Homes & Gardens, Ashland, Sonoma, etc. We're a fun, very active group of over 1,300 members! https://www.facebook.com/groups/scentedwaxretail

      Delete
  2. Hmmm, Fall n For Fall was actually very strong for me. I really enjoy it and it fills my medium sized living room quickly.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment here.