Pages

Go to NEW & IMPROVED Website: waxmeltreviews.com

Monday, March 13, 2017

Febreze Downy Unstopables Scented Wax Melts Review

Febreze Downy Unstopables Scented Wax Melts Review
 
Downy Unstopables Scented Wax Melts
Click photo to expand

Watch video below:


Febreze/Downy came out with the "Unstopables" line of laundry scent boosters and air fresheners a few years ago. Just a few months ago they added scented wax melts in their Spring, Fresh, and Shimmer scents. The wax melts have been hard to find locally, and I finally found them at only one of the six Walmarts in my area. You can buy them online at the http://www.unstopables.com website for $4.49, but they're $3.97 at Walmart. This is for 3 oz., so the price is quite high. You can find ScentSationals and Better Homes & Gardens wax melts at Walmart for $2 for 2.5 oz.

The only real negative I've found about these wax melts (besides the high price) is that it's difficult to break off a piece of wax. Because of the pretty shape of the wax that you can see when you turn the pack over, you have to remove the entire wax from the package and then cut with a butter knife in the section that should break off. If you try to do it by hand, it might not break properly and will end up being a mess. The other gripe I have is the large hole in the front of the package that's supposedly to allow people to sniff the scent without opening the package. This hole will also allow the scent to dissipate quickly and reduce the shelf life of the wax, so make sure to tape over the hole after you buy it. The only other little peeve I have with the whole Unstopables line is the spelling of "Unstopables", with one "p" instead of two!

Here's my reviews of the three scents (I also reviewed a new 4th scent in August 2018, "Vanilla", HERE).


SPRING

Description from the Unstopables website:
"Unstopables Spring Wax Melts fill your home with a profusion of flowers and sublime notes of citrus that lasts for hours upon hours. Do you feel like you're living life in an enchanting secret garden? You will. That's the effect this chic, cozy, and addictive fragrance evokes. Go ahead, take a walk on the indulgent side—without leaving home."

This is a warm slightly perfumey fabric softener scent, an authentic fabric softener scent that smells like clothes and towels straight out of the dryer. It's not a harsh detergent scent at all. There may be a smidgeon of a fruity floral note, but barely detectable, and I don't smell citrus. It's a fabric softener scent but with slightly different notes from the "Fresh" scent. Clean and cozy and sweet and warm, and the most authentic fabric softener scent I've ever smelled in a wax melt (which makes sense since it's made by Downy). Throw is excellent, at least a 4 out of 5.


FRESH

Description from the Unstopables website:
"Unstopables Fresh Wax Melts infuse your home's air with a soft breeze, even when the windows are closed. Hours upon hours of scent will make friends and family wonder: Did you hire a cleaning service? Is this just your show home? But you'll know the truth… it's Unstopables Fresh."

This is a clean laundry detergent scent with a sweet watery note and a hint of floral, like laundry being done with the windows open on a sunny day. It's not a harsh detergent scent, but it's also not a soft warm fabric softener scent like the Spring scent. It smells a bit like laundry scented wax made by other scented wax manufacturers. In fact, it smells a lot like the older Febreze Gain scented wax, and I think there's also an older laundry scented Glade wax melt that smells similar. So although both the Spring and Fresh scents are fantastic, I personally prefer the Spring scent because it's warmer and smells more like fabric softener rather than laundry detergent. Plus it doesn't make sense to pay the higher price for a scent that smells very similar to cheaper brand. Throw is excellent, around a 4 out of 5.


SHIMMER

Description from the Unstopables website:
"Unstopables Shimmer Wax Melts add a luxuriously fruity and floral fragrance to your home. Looking for hours upon hours of fresh scent? You found it. Get scent so vivacious you'll be bombarded by compliments—be sure to accept every one. After all, you earned 'em."

On cold sniff this smells like a fruity floral perfume with a warm amber note, but when melted it has a chemical note that smells like a vinyl pool liner. There's a hint of a fabric softener note, but the chemical note takes over. I don't care for this one. Throw is good, around a 3 out of 5.



Want to discuss this review and others? Come and join our Facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/scentedwaxretail. We are a fun active group of over 1,600 members!

3 comments:

  1. Hello. I just recently got into wax melts, I have always liked candles, but hated the flames. However, I am finding the wax melt cubes much too strong for my liking, especially compared to candles (I have tried many BH&G and scentsationals). I have enjoyed watching your youtube channel, so I thought I would ask your opinion; if you have one in regard to my question. By any chance, do you have any recommendations for a *light* scent with a good throw? I realize that appears to be the opposite desire of what most people want, and I have been unable to find a solution for my needs any where on-line. I have found tuscany to my liking (sunkissed nectarine being my only real go to wax cubes), without the throw, and long lasting. I may be stuck with this formula, but thought I would inquire with your expertise. Even if it is not considered long lasting, I would like to have a better throw to fill more of the house.

    Thanks for any info!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh there are tons of light scents out there! I personally prefer scents that are so strong they hit you in the face when you walk into the room! Tuscany melts do tend to have light throw. So do some Sonoma melts from Kohl's. And of course Yankee tarts. As far as specific scents, oh this is definitely a question for our Facebook group. You'll get lots of recommendations and helpful ideas! Come join us at https://www.facebook.com/groups/scentedwaxretail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your response. Well I did take your advice today and it paid off nicely. In one of your review videos you mentioned BH&G Sweet Georgia Tea being a great throw with a light scent, so I picked it up today, and that is exactly what I was looking for. So thank you for that, and please, in future reviews, if you come across others that perform similar, note it in your videos; I will be watching. :)

    I also went to a Wal-mart that I do not normally go to, and they had the BH&G paper scents, in the french lilac, which is another scent I liked. So I'm going to attempt to use less than the recommended amount and see if that helps with a lighter scent and a great throw. Keeping my fingers crossed.

    I know so many others are like you, they want that strong scent with that great throw, which is why it has been so difficult for me to find the lighter scent on any reviews on-line. I'll continue my search though, and hopefully find others. Once again, thank you for the response...and the great advice!


    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment here.